Christmas in July: Day One

I really don't do much Christmas sewing in July - too hot to think about it. I typically sew when I receive a new fabric collection. This Festive Season set of fabrics is from Benartex, 2017. I made quite a few things with them and don't think I even have scraps left over!


What you can't see in that photo is the awesome vertical print with cardinals! I made sure they were featured in a few quilts.


Let's see one, huh? This is a 2-Block Twisted Hexagons quilt with birds on black background as center hexagons and then birds on white background as the border (well, the two side borders).

Cardinals in Winter: 35" x 47"; 15" (high) blocks


Yes, I had to use two different prints for the borders. I didn't want my cardinals to fly sideways! This is how I fussy-cut the centers (I used this single cardinal for another quilt). I cut a window template out of freezer paper so I could capture exactly what I needed.

Fussy Cutting a cardinal motif

This was put in the center of this amazing table topper I did for Benartex in 2017. It appeared in their magazine. There are NO y-seams. There are diamonds, triangles and half-hexagons.

Festive Season Table Topper: 31" x 36"


Let's look at the half-hexagons in the top photo. Easy to do with a half-hexagon template or even your standard 60 degree triangle ruler (I've shared that here multiple times).


And cutting the diamonds for the table topper - I used a standard 6" x 12" acrylic ruler with 60 degree lines.



I'll be back tomorrow to share another quilt or two made with these fabrics. So much fun, I just couldn't stop with one!

Comments