Sassy Mariner's Compass

This is not just a Mariner's Compass, but it's Sassy! Why sassy? It has an extra ring of points that was supposed to fit but I measured wrong. I could almost hear them mocking me and my bad math. I made the top in 2011 and it waited 13 years to get finished! I had originally proposed it for my 3rd book, but Martingale didn't want it (so why quilt it?)

Sassy Mariner's Compass: 36" x 36"

This began with the center compass which is the basis for my Beginner's Mariner's Compass class. An easy 16" block with curves gentle enough for a novice quilter. Then the halo of points were supposed to connect to the center, but I didn't measure correctly and after I pieced all of them I discovered a 1" gap! Yikes!!! So, I had to add the red donut ring and voila! they all fit together. There is a lot of piecing, but because it's done on paper foundations, the points stay as points and my students were happy as clams to discover they had a compass they could actually finish.

Here's what I mean: notice the simple, center compass with the lime green background. Here it is in another color family with the light blue batik background:

Center of my basic Mariner's Compass

So, the math was initially bad but I was able to redo it and it worked! This is a charity quilt that I quilted last week on my Handi Quilter Sweet 16. I even had my stitch counter on and it totaled 14,150 stitches!

So, that's why it's sassy! And it's delighted to be finished and off to entertain some little child or the lap of a cancer infusion patient at the local hospital.

Comments