Hawaii in July with Vintage Blocks
A vintage Mountain Mist pattern (#59) called Friendship Plume captured my attention about 25 years ago. I had to redraft it for a digital pattern as the only thing available was a hand drawn image from an old magazine. Quilters used those paper patterns to make beautiful quilts, as you can see!
| Two vintage Friendship Plume quilts |
Here's one I made using Fossil Ferns. I still own this beautiful pillow. While it may not have originated in Hawaii, it still has that personality, doesn't it? I'm not sure about it's history.
![]() |
| Mountain Mist Friendship Plume (pattern #59) |
I transferred the pattern to freezer paper which was folded into fourths. I cut out the 4 layers and then opened it up. Next, I ironed it to my fabric. This is a 15-1/2" piece of beautiful Fossil Ferns (Benartex).
![]() |
| Freezer paper pattern ironed to fabric for cutting out. |
I do NOT hand appliqué. Everything is by machine. I fused interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric (not double sided fusible). I didn't want it to be ultra stiff. This way, if I want, I can clip away the fabric from underneath the appliqué. I made 5 of these. They are still waiting for me to put them into a quilt! Aren't they beautiful?
![]() |
| Five 15" Friendship Plume blocks |
As you can see, with 5 blocks I must get creative with the setting. I will find some awesome print to put on both sides of that center block. Now the quilt center will be 30" x 45". I'll keep you posted. I made the blocks in 2013 (13 years ago) and they're getting quite fidgety in the closet - they want to be finished!
I offer the pattern for this block (and the Fleur de Lis from July 1) on my Etsy site: Friendship Plume. Go check it out!
Here's one more pillow made with this pattern. I used some Kaffe Fassett prints.
![]() |
| 15" Friendship Plume for a 20" pillow (with flanges) |




Comments
Post a Comment
Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com