Ruby's Lilies

A pattern published in the Kansas City Star by Ruby McKim in April of 1929 is called “Noon Day Lily”, which inspired the name “Ruby’s Lilies” for a quilt I made in 1996! I also came across a vintage quilt made of Carolina Lily blocks. I think I only paid $10 for it as it was very worn with lots of shredding on several of the blocks. Here it is spread out on queen sized bed.

Carolina Lily quilt

It was hand quilted (of course). You can see some of the shredding in the top right corner in the red fabric.


Here is one of the blocks up close:

Carolina Lily block, well worn

Here is the Ruby's Lillies quilt I made in 1996 from some leftover block parts from another project. Notice that the setting square in the center is different fabric than the outside setting triangles. You make do with what you have, right?! The blocks are 12"

Ruby's Lillies: 38" x 38"

Most of my inspiration comes from vintage quilts and blocks. This is certainly one of those!

Comments