Block 3 in NMAI Sew Along

There will be 4 blocks. Here are the first 3. Scroll down to see my approach to Emma's block #3. 

NMAI - Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian asked several quilters who are Indigenous Americans to provide quilt blocks that emphasize various time periods.

The Quilt Along runs from June through October. Click that link and you can sign up for each block (even the past ones) and also be notified by email of the ones coming (includes a border).

I shared the first by Lauren Good Day. The Bison. Her pattern was for 5 bison on a 10" block. I decided to make just one.

Block #1

Block #2 was designed by Cissy Serao and is Hawaiian:

Block #2 by Cissy Serao

My Hawaiian block:
My machine stitched block

Block #3 was designed by Emma Alcazar:

Block #3 by Emma Alcazar

These are 45 degree diamonds. The block background size is 10" finished. I was able to follow Emma's directions to sew 2" strips together and then recut into 45 degree diamonds, but first needed to visualize how they would fit!

Notice the 10" square of paper with horizontal pencil lines to divide paper into five 2" segments.  I cut construction paper diamonds (1-1/2", because our fabric strips are cut 2" and will be 1-1/2" finished.)

Diamonds and background paper

Then I stacked the diamonds as I would like to see them in fabric. I also cut my fabric strips from shot cottons. I like doing things like this (my math teacher background) so I can visualize if it will work and I don't have to waste fabric!

Auditioning the diamonds

Then I stitched the strips together. Emma's pattern directions are VERY clear and helpful, but I deviated a bit.

Strips cut using 45 degree line on ruler

And here's my block before I put the red hand on. I am using the hand print of my granddaughter (12 years old) and not mine. It's coming! This block of diamonds measures 10-1/2" square.

Diamond block before adding the red hand.

Go check out these blocks! I am enjoying this immensely and on October 17 there's going to be a Sew Along down at the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian and I hope to be there. It's just a 45 minute Metro ride for me!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com