Summer Workshops with MAQ, Part 2

Part Two of my MAQ class lineup in July. I shared on Monday what I'll be teaching on the first day of the quilting symposium: English Paper Piecing, Going Beyond the Hexagon. If you missed it, make sure you get over and see all the pictures!

My Saturday class (July 13) is The Traditional Pickle Dish. You may be asking: What is a Pickle Dish? And why would I want to make a quilt out of pickles?!

It's not made out of pickles; the sharp points take their cue from an old fashioned cut glass pickle dish. Here's just one block. Yes, this is PAPER PIECING and curved piecing, not for beginners.

Pickle Dish Block: 12" x 12"

  • Here's my description:
  • This is NOT a Double Wedding Ring but the vintage block that simulates a glass pickle dish with sharp points, which are possible using foundation paper piecing. The center melon shape and background curved unit are doable using my easy pinning method. The 4 blocks are set together for a square center. More blocks can be added for a larger quilt. A 2-page planning sheet with a coloring chart is part of the supply list.
  • Block Size: 12”, Quilt Center: 24” x 24”, Quilt Size with Borders: 34” x 34” (quilt can be made larger)
  • Techniques covered Foundation paper piecing. Joining curved units with ¼” seam. Accurate piecing. We will discuss (but not teach) the quilting used in this quilt.
  • Pattern Required: Yes, $13
  • Pattern Contains: Pattern with all 8 oversized foundations to make this quilt, plus multi-page, well-illustrated step by step directions. Master patterns are also included.
  • PreCutting Required: Yes
  • Sewing Machine Required: Yes
  • Supply List
Now let's see my two quilts which will be my teaching samples. The first one is unfinished so that you can see the blocks from the wrong side (students like that, I think). I first drafted this in 2008 and then worked up my courage to stitch it in 2013. I finally put the borders on in 2018.

Pickle Dish using the Up in the Air fabrics by Windham
And how about a version using some Kaffe Fassett fabrics?

Pickle Dish quilt finished
You will receive a multi-page, well illustrated pattern with all foundations to make the four block quilt. Master foundations and master templates are also included (in case you wish to make a bigger quilt).

Visit the MAQ website to download the Supply List and get more information about how you can join me in this action packed class.

Comments