Hexies and Jewels and Fussy Cutting

I was able to make a 3-round Grandmother's Flower Garden (GFG) block where I used a fussy cut motif in the very center. These are 1-1/2" hexagons and this block is 12" wide by 13" high. I decided to appliqué it to a background square (14-1/2") cut from the new Potpourri Collection by Laura Heine for Windham Fabrics. What do you think?

Triple round of hexagons
Here is what it looked like from the back. I had used rectangles of fabric instead of cutting hexagons, so they needed to be trimmed.
Before trimming
 And after trimming
Ready to take the papers out.
 I had a bunch of these sweet motifs leftover from the fabulous Paper Dolls Collection from 2013. Here is another block. The center patches are the jewel shape. You can see my post about the Paper Dolls fabrics by clicking here.

Variation on a Jewel block with a single round of hexagons all around
And one more. This is the traditional Star Bouquet. Papers are still in.


And some handwork is always at the ready for when I need it. These are the last two blocks. I used 1-1/4" hexagons for this. I love how Potpourri plays so well with this little block, don't you?

Grandmother's Flower Garden auditioning Potpourri
And one completed block before appliquéing to a background square.
Triple round GFG using the fussy cut center
The greens and pinks on several blocks are from older Windham Collections. The pink and green in these last two blocks are from Benartex. Hey - my fabrics play VERY NICE with each other!

Not sure where I'm going, but the fabric will eventually tell me! This is the only handwork I do and it's so portable; a few ziplock baggies, thread, needle and scissors and I'm ready to go.

Comments

  1. Just love these!! That fabric you fussy cut worked out perfectly.
    Kathleen - kakingsbury at verizon dot net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com