Two More Half Hexagon Braid Quilts

I am working through my workshop sample boxes, trying to finish up a few quilts that have languished too long in those boxes! My Half Hexagon Braid class was so popular for several years (and still gets some attention). This purple quilt has been a top for at least 15 years and I finally had it quilted. It will be donated to my quilt guild for a local charity.

Half Hexagon Braid quilt: 42" x 47"

I first created this as an article in Quilt Magazine - 1999! Can you believe it? Here is how the artwork appeared. We gave templates for each of these quilts. I've yet to make houses like this, but it's certainly possible - and easy!



Yes, I did make not one but two of those half hexagon flower pot quilts. One uses authentic 1930s prints for the yo-yos:


I remade this using some current floral prints:



Back to the purple quilt - I had to piece those vertical floral borders because I only had 1/3 yard. You don't believe me?

Seamed border print!

Here is the acrylic template that comes with the printed pattern:

2-1/2" half hexagon template that comes with the Half-Hex Braid pattern

I had another batch of half hexagons - enough for two distinct quilts. These were cut about 12 years ago and have been waiting for a special quilt!

Half Hexagons waiting for another quilt

I had 3 vertical rows almost completed and so added some vertical floral panels strips and borders and this is the first of two quilts I got from these. This will be quilted and donated to my local guild.

Half Hexagon Braid Quilt with acrylic template: 40" x 49"

You can find my Half Hexagon Braid pattern on Etsy. One is digital and one is a printed pattern with acrylic template.

I'll be back next time with the second quilt (very different) I made with all those half-hexagons!

Comments

  1. I really like the purple ones, and what beautiful seaming you did. I know how hard that is to match like that! I look forward to seeing more of these.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com