Getting Creative with Borders

I've shared this quilt center before. It's a simplified Pat Sloan block that I modified in size, cutting, and color arrangement. First, the fabrics. These blenders are from Michael Miller's Krystal Collection. The print is a REALLY, REALLY OLD no-name fabric that I held onto until the right fabrics came along as "go withs."


Then I did a tutorial on how to make the block. You can read about it here and here. This is how the blocks looked once I put them into the quilt center. I wanted to make each star with two colors (and background) and not just one.

Star Spinners quilt center: 36" x 45"

I didn't have any fabric that would give me the 45" length for those two sides. I had to get creative. Here is my solution:

Star Spinners quilt top with borders: 45" x 56"

I found a print with the colors I needed (the butterflies). I added 5"  navy squares (fabric from the center blocks) to each end of the butterfly print and put 5" squares of the butterflies in the corners. I think it works!

You may remember I finished a similar quilt last year, also donated to my local guild's charity endeavors. Notice that the stars have a single fabric. That brown/pink border print is at least 18 years old! I still have a little bit of it around.


Some little kid will love it, I'm sure!

Comments

  1. This not-little-kid loves it! This is a great pattern, and I really like the fact that so many of your borders are something you had to be creative to make, because of fabric limitations, and they turn out so well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com