Two Quilts Get a New Home

My son in law (Daniel) has a new coworker from Valencia, Spain who is doing post doctorate work with him in his lab at Johns Hopkins (Baltimore, MD). He and his wife have two young daughters and they moved here in January (think snow). Valencia Spain: think San Diego! What a SHOCK!

I met them for the first time at Audrey's house on Easter. I felt compelled to take two quilts for the little girls. After all, quilts are so American and are very comforting if you're feeling like a stranger in a strange new world.

Here are the two I pulled from my stash. The first one was featured in my 2012 wall calendar of quilts. I made it for Windham Fabrics in January of 2009 and once it was photographed, it dutifully went to live in my closet. Such a shame it had to wait so long! I gave this one to Nairara who is 9 years old.

Dancing Flower Pots. 46" x 58"
The second one I made in 2007. Pitched it every so often to a magazine. No one picked it up (sigh). Was a workshop in Atlanta. Now it is loved by Aitana, the 22 month old little Spanish girl.

Lotsa Strips. 48" x 58"
And the back?
Back pieced using fat quarters and a novelty print
So, I placed two lonely quilts with two little girls who had no idea what a quilt was (and neither did their parents). What happy quilts!

Now I'm working on two quilts for another set of little children. Quilts are finished; just need to quilt them. I love having class samples that I can grab and quilt and pass on. The quilts are SO happy, too. They have heard how lonely it can be in my closets and really want to go live with real people. They have told me they really don't mind being dragged around, sat on, smothered in bed, or even thrown up on! They just want to live a normal quilt life! I'm trying, honest!

Comments

  1. Your post is so funny and at the same time I need to tell you that my house is really lonely for a quilt. I am trying really hard with your quilt of the month but when I look ahead the years end seems so far away. Perhaps I will have to start another one to keep me busy. I feel once our house has a quilt then I can call it our home...at last!
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning! My name is Victoria and I'm one of your blog followers and....from Valencia (Spain) like your son in law coworker. In Spain there's no a tradition in quilts, that's true but I know many people (in Valencia) who quilt too and know very well what quilts are. In fact I usually quilt too. Love!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish I had some to grab and give! Unfortunately--or fortunately--mine are all given when finished.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debby, what a great way for your quilts to start their next life! I like the pieced back on the 2nd quilt. 2 quilts in one! I like the stripes also. Thanks for the inspirations! (jane herbst at roadrunner dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i did the storm at sea class at expo with you and gave it to my grandson 2 years ago. it is dragged and loved and used to make forts! on the label i wrote "don't wait for your ship to come in - swim out after it!"
    he loves it and i am happy that it is treasured! loving the galaxy right now! where will that one end up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL! The only quilts living in closets here are tops waiting to be quilted. Our LQS has an incentive program this year to get people to finish their UFOs and I am making progress! So glad that you had some spare quilts to share with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yup That is what it is all about...from lonely in the closet to someone to love them..sorta like the Human Society!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful idea to give these quilts to the little girls. I'm sure they will be well loved. I made a baby quilt for my new grandbaby and I told my daughter to please USE it! She had it displayed on the rocking chair in the baby's room. Then one day she took my advice and gave the baby tummy time on the quilt. Made me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of your post made me smile. =) I love your quilts and those little girls are so lucky! So are the quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet story and how lucky those girls are to get one of your quilts! I've been passing on some of my quilts, too, and it feels so good to know they will be used.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was so sweet Debby, those quilts will get the lovin they longed for !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi! What a typically sweet, generous gesture for you to make! I got the order last Sunday from my daughter to make a pinwheel quilt for the little girl she's expecting in August! Of course, coordinating valences, too! Guess I'd better get busy! I was still fooling around with my stash and trying to decide on a pattern! Leave it to my Debbie to get things going!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely gesture to make those little girls feel welcome. Something I have been curious about for awhile, when we label our quilts and include the year we made it but do not gift it until much later, do people feel like we are giving them something old? I am always so hesitant to gift quilts that I have had for awhile. Just curious how others feel about this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com