Love is Still in the Air!

I pulled out my Stacked Hearts pattern and created a freezer paper stencil so that I could free motion quilt in a whole cloth manner. First, I traced the applique onto the paper side of freezer paper.

Stacked Hearts appliqué pattern

Then I cut it out and ironed it to the center of a shaded pink rectangle of fabric. Layered with Warm and Natural batting and a backing. Selected pink thread to blend with the pink.

Iron freezer paper template to center

What was my approach? First, I would stitch around the Stacked Hearts template. Then, I peel off the paper and free motion quilt INSIDE the hearts. Then, I quilted outside the shapes. Simple. Easy. It sure is better than following a stencil. Just a simple outline. The rest is just doodling.

 Now the fun begins. Let's see the first quilt I made, under the HQ Sweet 16 needle:

Stacked Hearts quilt being quilted. Yes, those are my humble machine quilting helpers

And can we see the quilt, huh?

Stacked Hearts mini quilt

And now let's see how that whole cloth thing worked out!

Stacked Hearts free motion whole cloth

This is a little sample for when I teach Beginning Free Motion Quilting. I love working with freezer paper for simple shapes. Hope you enjoyed seeing more hearts!

Comments

  1. It looks like you used a decorative stitch (curvy) on the binding, I like the way it blends with the rest of the curvy, not straight line, quilting. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your idea for quilting hearts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that came out great! I love this. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com