What's Under My Needle?

Sometimes I just want to sew. I upsized some Dogtooth borders for foundation piecing and got to work using some 2-1/2" strips of Kaffe Fassett fabrics that I had on hand. What are my plans? I really don't know. Who says I have to have a plan?

Foundation Pieced Dogtooth strips
What size are they? 4" wide and about 12" long (finished).

Dogtooth strip before trimming
 And can we see the front?
Trimmed. Can you see those 1/4" seam allowances?
Then I had a thought to add these to my Pickle Dish quilt center. This is a new class I am teaching and is based on a pattern from American Patchwork & Quilting (yes, I asked permission). I tweaked the pattern in so many ways so that it is teachable and for my students to be able to stitch it.

Here are my steps:
Three of the fabrics
 I always make a cutting template for odd shaped patches, rather than use squares or rectangles, which can result in a LOT of fabric waste.
Cutting Template
 These are my background triangles.

Background triangles
Now for a shot mid-process. It took me quite awhile to realize I got my colors messed up. Each curved unit is to have either the orange OR the purple throughout. Can you say RIP IT OUT?

Color mistake!
Now let's see the paper pieced arcs:
Unit with blues
 And the other one?
Unit with oranges
But then I had a flash and wanted a different arrangement. Can you hear the frogs again? Rippit. Rippit.

Here is my quilt center. I wanted all the red-oranges to be in the center and the blue-purples on the outside. Good thing I had only done two blocks before the flash.

Four block Pickle Dish
Do you remember my previous post about this Pickle Dish pattern? I had used the Windham Collection called Up in the Air:

Pickle Dish arcs
And the joining of the background and center melon shape:


And the center:
Four Block Pickle Dish before borders
Then I added borders
Traditional Pickle Dish
So, back to those Dogtooth Borders. Not sure what I'll do with them, but I'm inching toward adding them to the Kaffe Fassett center. But I'm in no hurry. I'm busy getting ready to teach 7 workshops and present 3 trunk shows in September, so I'm lucky if I can fit in some serious sewing time.



Comments

  1. I think those dog tooth strips would look really cool as a border on the quilt you just did. But who knows I'm not a designer, so it may look weird. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although red is my favorite color, I am not crazy about the reds and oranges together. The blues and purples are magnificent. In the end, I love the pickle dish quilt. Did I miss the pickle dish pattern???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I will update that link when I get home

      Delete
    2. Thank you. I assume you will send along the update.

      Delete
  3. Your pieces are beautiful. Thank you for sharing your design process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pieces are beautiful. Thank you for sharing your design process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really beautiful. I have been avoiding making quilts with templates but I have really been drawn to them lately.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debbie, I've always been so in awe of this beautiful curved pattern but it's paper pieced and I haven't tried that yet. SO MANY THINGS I WANT TO TRY! Your fabric choices are right up my alley and gorgeous. Really enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE these posts where you show your process. I like knowing I'm not the only one who changes my mind, too. The new pickle dish block is fabulous in its visual impact. I'm SO glad you did that ripping!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these! Such rich colors in these fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  9. While I don't care for pickles, your Pickle Dish is ---Fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your pickle dish! That is a quilt that has been on my list of quilts to do, but haven't gotten around to it. I like the way you used your colors. You should make a whole quilt like that. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com