My Storybook Christmas Winner and What's Coming Up

Congratulations to Lynn S. of Arlington, VA (just "down the street" from where I live). She is my winner for the fat quarter bundle of Storybook Christmas fabrics.

Storybook Christmas fabrics by Windham
It seemed that most of you did not realize that a 60 degree ruler could cut whole hexagons! While that thought is not original with me, I love to share it. There will be more on that subject in the coming weeks as I share some other tricks using what I call my Power Tool.

I have been busy working with some shot cottons these past few weeks (and off and on for a few years). What, you may ask, are shot cottons? They are a special woven "solid" fabric with two different colored threads. Notice the selvedge edge of the "purple" shot cotton below. Where did those red threads come from?!

Bundle of Windham Fabrics Artisan Cottons
And I purchased 3 one yard cuts of Pepper Cory's Peppered Cottons a few weeks ago. I am using these to make some Winding Ways blocks. In fact, I have about 10 colors from Pepper and that entire bundle from Windham. I'm not at a loss for color!

Shot cottons by Pepper Cory
 And see how the green and yellow threads create this color:

Green and yellow shot cotton
I will be sharing a few sets of blocks I've made using these shots and revisiting some other blocks from last year. I love how these fabrics give texture to my blocks that a flat, solid doesn't. And they aren't like a blender with mini-prints.

Hope you have a wonderful week and that sewing and quilting can be a part of it!

Comments

  1. I have not seen fabric like that. I ant wait to see what you do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling us about shot cottons. They are so pretty!. I have heard the term 'shot cotton' but didn't know what it meant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was always fascinated as a kid by the way the fabrics shimmered and colors danced with shot cottons. Wheel of Mystern or Winding Ways is one of my favorite blocks! I look forward to seeing your blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOps! That was supposed to be Wheel of MYSTERY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOps! That was supposed to be Wheel of MYSTERY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First time I see these fabrics.Can´t wait to see your new project!
    Wishing you a fun week too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Morning Debby! Congratulations to Lynn for winning those fabulous fabrics. I have never heard of Shot Cottons. Wow they are exciting and will add such an exciting "pizzaz" to your blocks. I am going to have to look for them at the fabric store when I go this week and pick me up some. Thank you for introducing me to something new. Have a fantastic creative day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I look forward to seeing your blocks. I've been having fun with the painted canvas fabrics which are similar to these. They are my favorites of this type of weave, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com