Hanukkah - Festival of Lights

My Hanukkah quilt, made years ago and gifted to a Jewish friend

Today is December 9th, Hanukkah or Chanukah (it's been spelled differently). It is the Festival of Lights. It's more than just a magical lamp that had enough oil to burn for 8 days during an uprising in ancient Israel. Jewish people were overcoming their oppressors and there is more to the story. I am a Christian and not Jewish, but this story is very powerful about a strong willed people wanting their freedom to worship as they wished. I celebrate this strong will and believe all people should be free to worship as they wish - or if they don't wish! We in America respect this and I say to my Jewish friends, Happy Hanukkah!

Comments

  1. Thank for sharing. The quilt is lovely and I am sure your friend treasures it...isn't that the best part of quilting, the sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very lovely quilt! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the a pattern available? I have a Jewish friend who would love this. And I would love to give it to her. Thanks and it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com