The Quilt To Bridge the Generations

Going home to live with Meg
Meg is my daughter Audrey's best girlfriend. They went to graduate school together (Georgetown U) and have remained friends for maybe 10 years (what does a mother remember?)

Meg comes over with Audrey occasionally when Audrey wants to sew and raid my stash. Meg saw my unfinished Gee's Bend quilt last year and thought it was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen (as far as quilts go). I knew then that it would find a home with her.

I had to query about 200 quilt shops to find the red for the borders. My dear friend Connie longarm quilted it a few weeks ago. Instead of wrapping it up,  I had it hanging on my kitchen wall last night when she walked in. It took her almost 10 minutes to notice not only it, but the big sign with her name on it! Yes, she was speechless.

That quilt is just as happy as Meg is. And you can bet that I had the greatest time getting it ready to go on its journey. I still have a smile on my face!

Yes, these Gee's Bend quilts appeal to every generation. And the younger crowd see them as modern art. I see them as a bridge to span all ages.

Comments

  1. The quilt is living on my bed at the moment-- I love it so much! It is so striking, and the stitching is beautiful. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. can so see why she wanted this quilt, so colourful and will look wonderful on the bed

    ReplyDelete
  3. can so see why she wanted this quilt, so colourful and will look wonderful on the bed

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a thrill for her and how sweet of you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice surprise for her! And what tenacity you have - 200 inquiries for that red fabric. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful gift and look how cute and happy you both are !

    ReplyDelete
  7. My face is hurting from smiling! What a uplifting and fun post. =)

    Enjoy your quilt, Meg!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so sweet. It is nice when you can give someone something you know they will love and have it be a surprise too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. However one looks at it, it's beautiful. It has the stamp of DK design sense. =)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com