Magical Mitering Mondays with Blank Quilting

Noblesse Collection by Blank Quilting
Today is Monday and I've been busy over the weekend sewing with an upcoming line by Blank Quilting called Noblesse. They are very romantic in feel and while there are only 3 fabrics in each of the two colorways, the main fabric provides other possibilities as shown in the pic above. I selected 3 of Blank's blenders to go with my 1/2 yard cuts. Did you know you can do a LOT with 1/2 yard cuts? No? Then allow me to show you!

I will upload more pics, the finished quilt tops (yes, 2 tops) and a chance for you to win some PRIZES - FABRIC! I will send out another blog update, so you need to be on my list to get that info so you can enter.

Here is a one page pdf that works with any mitering project: Magical Mitering

Here is my Magical Mitering technique which is used for these Attic Window blocks. I will reveal more as the week goes on, but first to show you how I created the blocks.
Attic Window, Step 1
 Since I was working with only 1/2 yard cuts, I couldn't afford to fussy cut the flowers. So, I let my rotary cutter decide for me. I was able to get 9-10 squares 8-1/2" x 8-1/2" from my main fabric. Then, I cut one strip each from my latte and red fabrics, 3" x 12".
Attic Window, Step 2
I sewed the latte strip to the left side, extending the seam a little beyond the center square because I NEED to see that seam for the next step. I also pressed the strip TOWARD the square (not away from as would be typical). Again, there is a REASON for this. Really, you say? Really, just stay with me.
Attic Window, Step 3
Place the red fabric as shown and using the extended seam as your visual guide, drop your sewing machine needle exactly where it comes out. This way, you don't have to guess where the 1/4" seam is; you can see it! Sew 1/4" from that point to the end of the strip.
Attic Window, Step 4
Turn the block over and fold the red fabric under at a 45 degree angle (like a typical miter). Press with an iron.
Attic Window, Sneaky Peeky version
Notice that the inside edge of the red fabric aligns with that exposed edge of the latte strip. That's why we pressed the seam TOWARD the center square. It makes for a perfect alignment (and doesn't create a nasty bump).
Attic Window, Step 5
Here is the back of the miter showing the small zig zag stitch (I show the 2nd colorway in this pic).


Pin as shown. Go to sewing machine and using either matching thread or invisible poly thread, stitch from the inside outward (never the other direction). I do not use a straight stitch, but a narrow zig zag stitch. It is virtually invisible.

OK? What does the front look like? No kidding!! You cannot see the stitches and you didn't have to wrestle an alligator and pray to the fabric gods to make your miter behave. You have total control. You turn the block over and cut away the excess fabrics, leaving 1/4" away from the stitching.
Attic Window miter from the front

Comments

  1. Great tutorial. I'm gonna have to try this out. I like the mitered edges but have never used a zig zag stitch like this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great tutorial. I am going to try it for sure. Those colors that you used are so striking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great tutorial. Thank you so much.

    Also, I've been signed up for your email notifications so I know when you've posted. Of course, they generally don't show up via email until the following day, but I still get them which is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this tutorial. I am definitely going to try it on a flower pot quilt (pots in the window) I'm making. It looks so easy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com