Honoring the 50th Anniversary of Moon Landing

I guess I'm slow, but I realized AFTER the 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 (moon landing) that I had made several (yes, several) space travel quilts. I call them Blast Off (yes, each of them).

Here are some pics:
Paper pieced rocket blocks
The first one above was made in 2004. I gifted it to a young man the same year. The blocks are 8" and updated versions of the vintage block Jobs Tears; and the quilt is 33" x 33".

The next one I made used 12" blocks and some fabrics from Benartex. The quilt is 66" x 90". It appeared in a quilting magazine and also in my 2014 Wall Calendar of Quilts.

Can you see the man walking on the moon?!

Blast Off using 12" blocks
And a recent finish (which means I finally quilted it) is this small quilt using my Diadem paper pieced pattern. The center is cut 9" and the four spiked corners are paper pieced for a 12" finished block. A great way to let the fabric do the work.

I didn't realize that I hadn't placed the orange and blue blocks in opposing corners. Oh, well. It's done and some little kid won't mind, right?

Blast Off using my Diadem block

You can find the pattern for this simple quilt using the Diadem block in my Etsy store: Blast Off. I hope to get the other quilt using the Job's Tears blocks up and running soon.

Hope you enjoyed my tribute to the courageous astronauts who landed on the moon some 50 years ago!

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing! Love, love, love the paper pieced rocket blocks and especially the fabric!! So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the quilt show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice space quilts. The moon landing happened on my first birthday. I was kinda expecting something just as spectacular on Saturday, but alas, nothing happened. LOL

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com