Scrappy Dresden Tree Skirt

I made one of these about 6 years ago using a long 18 degree dresden ruler. I used Christmas fabrics. (This pattern is no longer available for free. I've redesigned the template.)


I decided to use up some of my Kaffe Fassett prints with some shot cottons.

Here are some of the wedges:

Set of wedges with the largest fabric piece at the top

Set of wedges with the largest fabric piece at the bottom

When I cut the strip sets, I got more than I needed, but hey - I can make 3 of them, right?

Getting ready to make the tree skirt

So, I pieced them into a tree skirt (for a mini tree). What do you think?

Scrappy Tree Skirt: approx. 28" diameter

I took the end cuts (which are half the width of a full wedge) and pieced those together to make some REALLY scrappy dresdens. Playing with solids (shot cottons) and prints gave me SO much movement!

Each of these wedges has FOUR fabrics!

And here is the 30" block that I got from the wedges above:

Scrappy Dresden block is a bonus in the 11 page pattern

Click that link and you can see more photos. The full size dresden template is included with a LOT of photo steps. You don't need a ruler. If you have one of the shorter 8" EZ Dresden rulers, you can just extend it. This is my 12-1/2" dresden ruler (20 wedges make a full circle).

Dresden ruler

I have a limited supply of my 12-1/2" Dresden ruler in my Etsy shop (10 remain from my Vortex workshops). Check it out!

Comments