Thursday, February 16, 2017

Quilt Along, Block Two

Are you still with us? How are your own blocks coming along? Here is our second block in the Benartex Everyone's a Star Quilt Along. I will also show you my steps in making that triangle pieced unit.

Stephanie's Block: 12" finished
 My method for stitching those 1/4 square triangle units is to cut two squares 1-1/4" larger than the finished size of the unit (4"). A white print and a red print square: 5-1/4" x 5-1/4". I drew lines along BOTH diagonals on the wrong side of the light print. Stitched 1/4" along both sides of ONE line. Cut them apart first on the NON-stitched line.

Stitched along ONE diagonal
 Then I cut along the other diagonal line:
Now I have four double-triangle units
 Can we see them? I now have two units of each orientation. I will only use the ones on the left.
All four units pressed open
 I combine a two-triangle unit with a black print triangle (cut from a 4-7/8" square):
A black triangle and a two-triangle unit ready to be sewn
 To make the whole block I use:

  • Four of the units above
  • Four squares cut 4-1/2" of one light print
  • One square cut 4-1/2" of a second light print (for the center)

Block parts with last two horizontal seams ready to be stitched
And the final block?
Stephanie's block!
Take a visit today to the next installment to see how Stephanie created her block using her collection. 2017 Everyone's a Star Quilt Along.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, this fabric is so pretty. I just love red, white and black and especially star blocks. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Debby! I especially am attracted to the white fabric with the black and red. The way that the lines flow and end with the red remind me of this flower (sorry I cannot remember the name) that would dance in the wind like this. Plus, I especially like your tutorial for this lovely star block. Thank you for sharing and have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that reminder. I knew you had an easy way of doing those triangle pieces, but I couldn't quite remember it. I appreciate you, Debby! Your block is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the fabrics in the block. Got to get me some of them!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com