|Cream and Sugar Flower with covered button center|
Select two fabrics, one for the flower and one for the petals.
- Cut 4 circles of the flower fabric (petals): 5-1/2" diameter
- Cut 5 circles of the leaf fabric (orange in this pic): 6" diameter
- My covered button for the center is 1-1/8" (Dritz). The one you see below is fussy cut. Directions for covering these buttons is included in the Dritz package, as well as a circle cutting template. (Other companies make these. Check out big box stores, Michael's, A.C. Moore, etc)
I used lids from yogurt, cottage cheese - you get it. Actually, size is arbitrary. These can be made smaller or larger as you wish.
|The basic ingredients|
- Both flower petals and leaves are stitched the same. You can do this by hand or machine. Fold circles in half, wrong sides together and stitch 1/4" from raw edges as shown.
- Gather as shown. Secure your stitches to keep gathering in place.
- Sew the four gathered circles of the flower fabric together as shown. It can be messy; the back will be covered up. The key is to keep them from coming loose.
|Flower petals sewn and joined; leaves in process|
|Four gathered flower fabric circles joined|
Safety pin added so this can be secured to a dress, coat, anything!
|Back of Flower. Size is approximately 5" x 5"|
|Debby with her fabric flower with button center|
Hope you enjoy this. I have a bundle of circles already cut out and two packs of Dritz covered buttons. Maybe I'll make some in my upcoming travels.