Saturday, March 4, 2017

Tutorial for Making the Cream and Sugar Flower

I had a request from a friend for the pattern for this. How about a few pictures, some cutting numbers and you use your gray cells to make one of these?!

Cream and Sugar Flower with covered button center
I no longer have the exact fabrics for this, but I have pics with the steps. Here we go!

Select two fabrics, one for the flower and one for the petals.
  • Cut 4 circles of the flower fabric (petals): 5-1/2" diameter
  • Cut 5 circles of the leaf fabric (orange in this pic): 6" diameter
  • My covered button for the center is 1-1/8" (Dritz). The one you see below is fussy cut. Directions for covering these buttons is included in the Dritz package, as well as a circle cutting template. (Other companies make these. Check out big box stores, Michael's, A.C. Moore, etc)
I used lids from yogurt, cottage cheese - you get it. Actually, size is arbitrary. These can be made smaller or larger as you wish.
The basic ingredients
Different fabrics next, but I had these already made:

  • Both flower petals and leaves are stitched the same. You can do this by hand or machine. Fold circles in half, wrong sides together and stitch 1/4" from raw edges as shown.
  • Gather as shown. Secure your stitches to keep gathering in place.
  • Sew the four gathered circles of the flower fabric together as shown. It can be messy; the back will be covered up. The key is to keep them from coming loose.

Flower petals sewn and joined; leaves in process
Four gathered flower fabric circles joined
Stitch the 5 leaves together in the same way. Either stitch or hot glue the flower unit on top of the leaves unit. Cover with a felt or wool circle as shown on back.


Safety pin added so this can be secured to a dress, coat, anything!

Back of Flower. Size is approximately 5" x 5"
And how about seeing it in relation to a real person (yes, I'm a real person!)

Debby with her fabric flower with button center
This is all I have. I think I saw something similar to this on Pinterest several years ago. I used my own measurements (based on my cottage cheese lids!)

Hope you enjoy this. I have a bundle of circles already cut out and two packs of Dritz covered buttons. Maybe I'll make some in my upcoming travels.

3 comments:

  1. So gorgeous.Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Debby! These fabric flowers are lovely! I am always on the look out for tutorials to make them. I then use them in gift wrapping, put them on fabric baskets, tote bags and wreaths. I know these will be fun to make. Thank you for sharing. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Debby! I love it - cottage cheese lid! You make me feel more normal, considering some of the things I use to measure and trace. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com