Gee's Bend Quilts Four, Five and Six

Today I introduce you to Mary Bennett and her Housetop Four Block quilt. This is an improvisational approach to a log cabin. Four log cabin blocks. Very irregular. Very creative. Very scrappy.

Housetop 4 Block by Mary Bennett: 77" x 82"
My version with a 25% scale reduction:

Housetop 4 Block: 57" x 65"
And a little information about Mary L. Bennett:


The next quilt is something many of us make from our kids' old denims. Take a look!

Work Clothes Denim: 46" x 60". Loretta Bennett
And my pattern, as close as I could get to Loretta's. I included those 4 pockets - yes, I did!

Work Clothes Denim by Debby Kratovil
And let's see Loretta Pettway Bennett and a little of her bio. She is pretty young (ok, younger than me), born in 1960. She has a lot of quilting left in her hands. And lots of great ideas for future quilts in her mind.

Loretta Pettway Bennett's bio
Now for Blocks and Strips. I love this quilt in its simplicity, the use of large pieces of fabric and a simple red, black and gray color scheme. (I don't have a larger image of this, my apologies)

Blocks and Strips by Loretta Bennett

And my version:
Blocks and Strips by Debby Kratovil: 50" x 62"
And some more bio information for Loretta Bennett:
Loretta Bennett and a picture of her Blocks and Strips quilt
Each of these patterns is available on my Craftsy site for download. I patterned them so any quilter with basic cutting and piecing knowledge can make them. And if you get a little improvisational with your seam allowances - so what? These are not your cookie cutter type quilts and no one will be the wiser if you stitched and chopped a little differently!

I hope you enjoyed seeing these 3 wonderful quilts. I have two more coming the first of the week. That makes a total of 8 quilts that I had the pleasure - and privilege - of patterning.

Comments

  1. Beautiful! I haven't seen this design before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful to have been made aware of the history. I have heard of Gee's Bend but have never research its history. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope the families or ladies get
      some of the profits!?

      Delete
    2. Yes, the quilt makers have always shared in the profits when the kits and my patterns were sold through Keepsake catalog. Now they are my independent patterns and the original contracts did not restrict me from marketing them on my own after the kits retired.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com