Gee's Bend Quilts #7 and 8

Here are the last two of the Gee's Bend quilts that I patterned. The first is the Medallion Variation by Louisiana P. Bendolph. Here is her original quilt as seen on the page with her bio. Note that her quilt is surrounded with a LOT of white fabric!

Louisiana P. Bendolph and her Medallion Variation
And here's my version (minus the white borders). I have made this quilt 3 times! The first is owned by Windham Fabrics.
Medallion Variation: 52" x 76"
The second I sewed and gave to my oldest daughter's best friend. I hung it on my kitchen wall with that "Happy Birthday" note on it. It took her about 20 minutes to realize that it was meant for her. She was totally blown away! Can you see how beautifully Connie Gallant quilted it?

Meg's Medallion Variation
The third one is still hanging in my closet waiting to be quilted. I guess you could say I like this quilt. Could it be the red?

The 8th quilt is the Housetop 9 Block by Annie E. Pettway.

Annie E. Pettway and her Housetop 9 Block: 66" x 73"
And my rendition. Aren't those unequal borders something else? Who says they have to be matchey-matchey?

Housetop 9 Block, beautifully quilted by Connie Gallant
I hope you enjoyed seeing these 8 quilts. I know a lot of people have enjoyed being able to replicate them from my patterns. And each of the Gee's Bend ladies were thrilled to have them receive such a wonderful public welcome. It was a win-win for everyone involved.

Comments