Baltimore Album My Way

I love appliqué. Oh, not to do it by hand, of course. I gave that up 20 years ago. Anything I do is by machine. But what I want to show you is the cheater's approach to Baltimore Album.

I came across a set of these panels about 10+ years ago. Not sure if they are by Mimi Dietrich, Mary Koval or who. I decided to cut out the panels and surround with Dogtooth units. What are dogtooth units? They are 60 degree triangles that look like, well, dog teeth. Very, very sharp dog teeth!

I have 4 blocks to show you. Abandoned these about 8 years ago. Now I'm going to go look for that box!

This first one is surrounded with deep red dogtooth triangles and squares.

Beautiful basket of blooms (a printed panel)
 My next block is surrounded by blue patches.

Blue basket of blooms
Now for some fruit . . .

Basket of fruit surrounded with green patches
And let's not forget a bird, a diary and a wreath of flowers and leaves.

Bird with diary and a wreath of flowers
Let's see them all together. They haven't been joined because I'm not sure if I want to put a thin strip between all those triangles. What do you think?

Four blocks
I actually designed and made ONE Baltimore Album quilt. Must be at least 12 years ago! I call it Leslie's Album because the Marketing Director for Windham Fabrics at the time was named Leslie and  was designing with one of their reproduction collections. Want to see it? It was published in Quilter's World Magazine.

Leslie's Album: 31" x 37"
You can find it at my Craftsy store for only $4.00! Full size templates and clear instructions in a 5 page pdf. Just a little taste of some Baltimore Album, right? Not a whole quilt but just enough for a sweet taste!

Comments

  1. If you add sashing, you can avoid the bulk and headache of matching the dogteeth seams, and the spacer will allow each block to shine. IMO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right, Aby. I just pulled out my box and will be playing with these blocks later today. Now to find just the right fabric for those strips . . .

      Delete
  2. Applique is quite a challenge whether by hand or machine. Your blocks are beautiful. I agree with Abigail that a sashing would be the way to go with this one. It would give each block the attention it deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for those kind words about my blocks. I just ran down to the basement to bring the box upstairs. Boy, do I have a lot of stuff in there and quite a few panels beyond that group I share.

      Delete
  3. Gee I have those panels laying in my stash. I never had any idea as to what to do with it. Love your idea. Most definitely a small piece in between. I think the spikes would overpower the center.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it. I just wish I had the time to quilt this as it would be fun and beautiful laying on my bed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Debby; These 4 blocks are gorgeous! Your Dogs Teeth are absolutely perfect and were a fabulous choice to use as the border around the Baltimore Blocks. I agree with the other quilters and yourself that a sashing would be a fabulous choice and would help to bring a softening between each of the bold Dogs Teeth. I sure appreciate your sharing of these blocks. Your quilting experience continues to teach me so much. In which I very much appreciate. Thank you for sharing. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com