Here Come the Winter Games!

Winter Games is a collection I blogged about last summer. It was about a new collection by Amanda Murphy. I love her colors and her prints SO MUCH!

Just to remind you of the 8 fat quarters Benartex sent to me. They knew that the fabrics would speak to me and tell me what they wanted. It also meant that I would make something small because my fabrics were limited - no king sized quilt from these!

8 fat quarters of Winter Games

Benartex asked me to make mug rugs. I revisited one of my frequently used pattern called Coffee Cups. First, here's the original pattern as it appeared in the Kansas City Star in the 1930s:
Coffee Cups pattern using a lot of odd shaped templates
I made a 9 block quilt about 20 years ago and it was published in Quilt Magazine. I gifted it to a friend several years ago.

Nine Block Coffee Cup Quilt
I also made about a dozen using a Windham Fabrics Collection called Mimosa:

10 of the dozen or so blocks I made with this collection
One in that awesome lime green:


And one in that beautiful turquoise:

7" Coffee Mug Rug
And I made a set of 4 using a Kaffe Fassett collection called Corsage:

Four more coffee cups!
Now let's see a few of the steps (in case you missed it last time).

My pattern is for a 7" block. I created a freezer paper fussy cutting window to center my motifs in.

Freezer paper "window" to fussy cut my motifs
Here are two of motifs centered and ready to cut:

Fussy Cutting the skates and snow boards
 And an athlete, of course!

Fussy Cutting a snow boarder
I also cut an oversized square out of the hot cocoa mugs:

Cups of hot cocoa and coffee (and probably some tea, right?)
Here is the block finished:
7" foundation pieced coffee cup block
Now can we see some of the others? Here are the 3 blocks finished. I used my walking foot to stitch vertical lines (gray thread) and finished off with my quick and easy binding. I sew it on from the back and stitch it down by machine on the front.

Cocoa motif mug rug
 Gotta have skates!
Skates and snow boards mug rug
 And, an athlete!

Snow Boarder mug rug
And all three together. You can get this pattern at my Craftsy store. There are a lot of pictures and the foundations are easy to print, with lots of helpful tips.

My set of 3 paper pieced mug rugs using my Coffee Cups Pattern from Craftsy
I have pulled these out and they are going into my tv room. I hope someone doesn't spill coffee or hot cocoa on them!

Comments

  1. IS your tea party BOM open to anyone? If so, are there details printed somewhere? I'm a huge tea drinker but more to the point, we are Canadian...we adore tea. I would love to know more about your project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty mug rugs! I like the quilt also! Cool fabrics! Have a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely love these!!!
    Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Debby,
    Oh how I love these coffee cups. The lime green and the turquoise - my favorites, but the skier is a very close favorite contender. I am really looking forward to the games starting tonight. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com