Tell Me About Pre-Cuts: Day Five

Day Five and I'm talking about 5" squares. They're called "Charm" Packs. They are typically bundled as stacks of 40 or 42 squares. They've been around for a long time, too.

Here are a few sets of charms that I've worked with in the past few years.

Charm pack of Kona Solids

I used these for a blog hop challenge in 2014 where we had to use some Kona solids. Since I wanted a variety of colors but didn't want to spend a lot of money, I bought a charm pack! Clever, huh?

I made a Thousand Pyramids quilt and used the leftovers to make my Fractured Jewels quilt. They have been VERY popular workshops - we make the Pyramids in the morning and the Jewels in the afternoon. Both quilts were published in Modern Patchwork Magazine.

Thousand Pyramids using the Kona Charm pack above

Fractured Jewels as it appeared in Modern Patchwork Magazine

Here's a sweet set from Windham Fabrics called Briar Rose.

Charm Pack of Briar Rose

I first made some Dresden plates with the charms. I can get 2 wedges from each 5" square. Let me show you my little quilt.

Charming Dresdens quilt

I had a few left over to make some 2" EPP hexagons which I made into a small Zig and Zag of Hexies table runner.


The Zig and Zag of Hexies Runner using Briar Rose charms

I cut some charms using my Kaffe Fassett fabrics. I love all the color and pattern in these!

5" charms cut using my Kaffe Fassett fabrics

I made another Charming Dresden quilt (which I shared about last year). Do you remember?

Charming Dresdens quilt: 7" blocks; 40" x 40" quilt

I think that's enough for today. I bet you have some stacks and packs of 5" squares in your stash. I've got more ideas, but I'll wait for another day.

Comments