Cloth Book Panels to Quilt

I came across a stack of kids' cloth book panels several years ago and I only have about 3 sets remaining. I think some fabric shop dumped all their extra inventory at this local thrift store. I felt like I hit the jackpot!

I cut the panels apart based on an equal size for each section. In this case, mine yielded 8-1/4" squares. It is based on that fabulous book I read to my 3 daughters a zillion times: The Poky Little Puppy.


Here's the blurb from Amazon:

The Poky Little Puppy was one of the original twelve Little Golden Books published in 1942, and went on to become the bestselling picture book of all time. The story of a curious puppy, who digs holes under fences and who has to go to bed without any strawberry shortcake, has delighted families for generations. it is, quite simply, an icon. Delightful to read aloud, The Poky Little Puppy is a cherished story that every child should know.

Here is a photo of the whole panel. At least the pages are numbered so we knew where to put the squares!

Here is one my friend Jeannine D. made about 6 years ago (that's when I got them). She actually made two of these!

Jeannine's Poky Puppy quilt

And here's one I made using my tilt pattern (using a type of Tri-Recs ruler). I donated this to our local kids' charity. Isn't this so cute? Blocks worked out to finish at 10" x 10".

Poky Little Puppy: 42" x 52"

I have 3 more sets of these cloth book panels. And I'm a quilter, so I made them into a quilt (of course!) I cut 2" strips of both the brown and the green and stitched them on. Because I wanted to include the book title panel, I had to add 3 more non-book squares, all which I cut from the panel. Here is what I got:

Poky Little Puppy quilt:10-3/4" finished blocks

It's big enough for a little kid. I will quilt it myself and hope to find a stripe for the binding. When it's time to give it away, I will write the baby's name in that bottom right square (a little scary to think about - you only get one try!)

And, yes, I will include a copy of this sweet, hard copy book!

Comments

  1. That was a favorite of mine, too. I had about 300 Little Golden Books as a child, and the colored phonograph records that went with most of them. After my mother died, my nephew destroyed most of them, but he was little and didn't know better. I, however, carried a lifetime of love of reading from those books, and still read constantly. I get grumpy if I can't read! Your quilts are just terrific.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com