Summer Solstice Quilts Update

In the Northern Hemisphere today is the longest day of the year - Summer Solstice - when the daylight hours seem like forever (and we love it). Windham Fabrics released a gorgeous collection of fabrics called Solstice in late 2020 that really captivated my quilter's heart! Here are just a few of the prints designed by Sally Kelly.

Solstice has 28 prints!

I used those fabrics to make another of my Spiroglyphics quilts (see mine done in batiks here). I donated this to my local quilt guild's charity endeavors. No borders!

SpiroGlyphics quilt: 30" x 30"

I put my Solstice blocks all together last summer. Same center as the quilt above; I added inner and outer borders. I just love this! Waits patiently to be quilted.

Solstice SpiroGlyphics quilt: 40" x 40"

But, along the way, I made another quilt. This is my Nosegay quilt using Solstice. I had to get creative with the setting square and triangles since I only had fat quarters! I also dipped into my Fantasy Collection (also by Sally Kelly, so the fabrics work together beautifully).

Solstice Nosegay blocks

Using just fat quarters, I added some border strips. But, I really don't like it, so I took them off. They are too dark and not happy looking, are they?

Nosegay quilt with unhappy borders

I made an extra block without the cone. As you can see, the Nosegay block is simply a Lone Star with a cone in one of the sections. Again, Fantasy and Solstice play nicely together.

Simple paper pieced Lone Star block: 12"

Here is the Solstice quilt with new borders. Very happy, indeed! Time to quilt it I think.

Solstice Nosegay Quilt: 48" x 48"

I made another set of blocks with Solstice, but they aren't put together into a quilt center. Yes, this will be quilt #3! Do you remember these blocks? They are my Pentagon Wreaths.

Four 11" Pentagon Wreath blocks

I made a total of 8 blocks and I set them the same way as I did my Foxwood Friends quilt. Here are the 8 blocks together in a quilt center. I used little half-blocks to make this a square quilt! Just need a border.

Solstice Pentagon Wreath quilt center: 33" x 33"

I hope you were inspired by the beautiful fabrics. And I hope you enjoy the Summer hours of sunshine today!

Comments

  1. Oh, definitely inspired! Changing that border makes the quilt. Isn't it funny how that happens sometimes? I like the setting on the Solstice Pentagon Wreath very much, but my favorite might be nosegay. I've been thinking about making one, and I like how yours looks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com