Rose Star Quilt Made from Fat Quarters

 I created and taught a workshop based on the vintage block called Rose Star. I had acrylic templates made for my students and taught them how to make a y-seam. There honestly isn't any other way to get those 120 degree angles put together into the 3-patch unit.

Patches cut with acrylic template

Then 3 of these get pieced into triangle units. Yes, there's a y-seam in there!

3 Patch units with y-seam

After piecing the 3 patches into the triangle, there are no more y-seams. I call this Stacked Kites. I turned these beautiful patches into a sweet quilt in 2020. Still waiting for borders. This one's going to stay with me. My oldest daughter loves ALL my 1930s quilts and probably will lay a claim to this (once I let her know about it!)

30s Stacked Kites: 44" x 50"

My Rose Star workshop focused on making one block. I made several of these, but I didn't need another table runner, so I added side triangles to "square up" the hexagon. Here it is - 36" high. The entire center is made from two collections of fat quarters.


I used fat quarters to square it up and add extra borders. This is also destined to go to my quilt guild's charity endeavors for the infusion unit at our local hospital. (I had a 1/3 yard cut of that outside border which worked perfectly).

Rose Star quilt: 44" x 45"

If you want to see more of my Rose Star creations, do a search here on the blog. I've made quite a few centers. Only one is a finished table topper. I rather like squaring it up and adding borders. Then it's useful as a quilt. Who really needs another table topper?


Comments

  1. I like the Staked Kites quilt too. It reminds me of quilts my grandmother made. I also like the rose star.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com