Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt

A few years ago I randomly created some 2" EPP hexagons using some Michael Miller gingham fabrics. Then, I was inspired to recreate a version of an older quilt that I used when I taught EPP workshops. One of my students said this was her favorite quilt. Her name was Lori. So, I named the quilt "Lori's Garden Favorite." Easy enough!

Lori's Garden Favorite

I made the above quilt using some Benartex Fossil Ferns and some other Benartex collections for the borders. Yes, those borders don't "match." But, they work and that's what matters. Sometimes you don't have enough of a single fabric to have all 4 borders match. Who cares? I think this is more interesting.

Here is one of the blocks up close:

Single GFG variation block: 14" x 20"

I still have the original quilt that I made 22 years ago with the same rectangle block, but this time I used sashing. I called it Grandma's Night Garden. It was published in Quilt Magazine and then it appeared in my first book with AQS: Bold, Black and Beautiful Quilts (2004).

Grandma's Night Garden: 53" x 61"

Back to the gingham fabrics. Here is the quilt I made using 5 units. It is being quilted by my local quilt guild friend and going to one of our charity endeavors. Yes, I had to add some top and bottom borders to take it to a good size (and square it up). The center garden block doesn't have the side hexagons as is true in the other four. I hand stitched the blocks and then appliquéd them to the background rectangles with my sewing machine and invisible thread.

Gingham Play Garden Quilt: 46" x 44"

Here's what the center looks like without that center pink block. Now you can see why I had to cover that center with something!



I'll share it again once it's quilted. I think it will be a fun quilt sure to bring a smile to someone who needs it!

Comments