How's Your Crown Fitting These Days?

I was looking through some pics of my quilts and realized I have several using my Diadem pattern. (Diadem = Crown, right?). In light of being sequestered in our homes, mine keeps getting knocked sideways off my head!

Diadem is a redo of a vintage block made using templates but, you know me: I simplified it for today's quilter.  It's a wonderful block to feature a special floral pattern or to fussy cut a beautiful motif. This is my most recent version of the Diadem made using some Kaffe Fassett fabrics. These are 14" blocks with the points paper pieced.

The Diadem Quilt: 48" x 48" using the larger 14" block as appeared in my book
And a close up of a single 14" block:
Single Diadem Block: 14" x 14"
Here is the first one I made, which appeared in my second book (Supersize 'Em Quilts, 2009). I used a lovely Christmas fabric for the block centers.

Christmas Diadem Quilt
Another of the quilts I made I called "Blast Off!" with some novelty fabrics in the centers. What do you think? Those are planets of the solar system in the centers.

Blast Off! Quilt: 40" x 40"
Here's a single block using a different collection:

14" Diadem Block
And a few more. The next picture shows me auditioning some fabrics.

Test driving some fabrics
Another Christmas collection:

Using the Christmas Spectacular fabrics
Centering a lush floral print in the center with simple borders.


And a single block for a workshop I taught in 2011. I reduced the block size so that our borders wouldn't need to be pieced. This is a 12" block.

Single block: 12" x 12"
And the quilt it appears in:

Diadem Quilt: 40" x 40"
Well, even I didn't believe how many versions of this quilt I made. Can you believe it? The Diadem pattern in my Etsy store is for a 12" block for a 40" x 40" quilt. The corners are easy to paper piece. I even have a cutting template that takes the guessing out of how to cut those light background patches without a lot of fabric waste!

Comments