Circles Again!

Next to a hexagon, I love circles the best! They have so many possibilities for quilt design. And I've combined the hexagon and circle for some new blocks using the Sashiko Collection (Windham Fabrics). I blogged about this fabric last year. 

Sashiko Fabrics by Windham

Here is some REAL hand stitched sashiko by yours truly. I've been working on this, off and on, for about 15 years.

Hand stitching some sashiko

More sashiko

Now for my circles. I used a cottage cheese lid (the same size as a CD) for the circle. I interfaced it (with a used dryer sheet!)

Easy interfaced circles

Then I turned them right side out and centered them on a 6-1/2" high fabric hexagon. I machine zigzag stitched them using monofilament thread. Invisible. Beautiful. No handwork!

Sashiko circle and hexagon block

Now it's time to clip away both the interfacing and the background fabric (to reduce bulk).


I made 16 blocks (and need one more). Here is my idea: It's a slight variation on my Big Block Hexagons workshop/pattern. I will be filling in the sides with a full hexagon, which will be trimmed to be even with quilt, once I get the rows sewn. The row seams are sewn in a straight line - diagonally! Then the rows are sewn in straight seams horizontally. No y-seams, of course!


I also pulled out my pile of circles made the same way using the Solstice collection. Do you remember these?

Same circles, but this time in Solstice

They are appliquéd to background squares. I do have a plan for these, too.


For now, I have to get ready to teach in Fredericksburg, VA for the Sewing Expo (Thursday - Saturday). I have 5 classes and it's my last travel booking for the year. I'm so glad! There's nothing glamorous about hauling a few suitcases filled with quilts and patterns and samples. I do love my students and teaching in person, so for that I'm thankful.

Go find a cottage cheese or yogurt lid (or CD) and try out this easy method I've been using for 30 years! I think you'll like it.

Comments

  1. Circles and hexies are my favorites too! I like how you combined both. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful especially like the Sashiko!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a wonderful design, thank you! The Sashiko is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com