Velvet Stars FREE Pattern

I made this quilt in 2001 and published it first in Quilt Magazine. I had seen a tattered velveteen-backed pillow at a yard sale and the colors in the needlepoint were bright and cheery. The pattern inspired me to make this in rotary cut strips. My method was to use templates (so old school!)

Velvet Stars: 46" x 62"

These are 12" blocks. I had a packet of 1/4 yard cuts of beautiful solid fabrics. I cut and stitched at random. Each star is composed of 8 colors without thought of "matching."

I also published it in my first book, Bold, Black and Beautiful Quilts (AQS, 2004). I found an error in the pattern (not my fault - the editor always has the final say). Here is a digital image of the blocks without any sashing.

Velvet Stars: 12" blocks

I tossed the templates and streamlined the piecing. Each QUARTER STAR is composed of:

  • One 3-1/2" x 6-1/2" strip of Color A
  • Two 3-1/2" squares of Color B
  • One 3-7/8" square each of Color A and Color B

Then the piecing of those star points is made using the strip and the 3-1/2" squares in the stitch and flip method. (you can toss the templates)

So, how does the quilt look turned 90 degrees? I kind of like it that way, too!


If you look at the pattern, you will see the ERROR of the editor and my artwork. Can you see it?

I would like to make this again using some of my bundles of blender fabrics. Not sure about that sashing - I don't have any multi-colored with black print, but something will come up.

Why not pull out some scraps and see if you can make one of my Velvet Star blocks?

Comments

  1. I like it both directions. If I tilt my head, I see cat faces. :-)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com