Storm at Sea Quilts and FREE Pattern

I've made several Storm at Sea quilts over the past 35 years. I taught the workshop many times in 2011 and 2012. But this most recent one is my favorite. I call it the "I Love You" version (a heart). Can you see it?

Storm at Sea: 47" x 47"


For my workshops I had decided to get the quilt kits laser cut by John Flynn. They were awesome and when I handed them out to my students and they looked at all the perfectly cut patches (and NO cutting for them), they stood and clapped and cheered! I was a Rock Star (for a day). 

Here are the blocks before I put them together in my Heart version above:

Units ready to put into my Heart Storm at Sea

And here is the vintage pattern as given almost 100 years ago! Do you think you'd want to do it this way?


Let me show you some of the other Storm at Sea quilts I've made. This first one is a tiny version with just a few units. It was my practice quilt to see how the laser cut patches go together so well.

Small Storm at Sea

This next one was my class sample. I added little boats in the four corners. The center is 35" x 35". With borders, it's 45" x 45".

Storm at Sea: 45" x 45"

Here's another quilt, with a lot of light blue!


I had a LOT of workshop sample blocks. I put them into another quilt, but no borders. The colors of the little boats have a lot more red! This was a charity quilt in 2020.


And one last quilt. This is a top that is patiently waiting to be quilted. I made this with a fabric collection called Fresh Catch by Windham Fabrics. I changed a few things (putting the stars in there) and no boats in the corners. But, lots of fun images from the sea!

Fresh Catch Storm at Sea - Sail Away

Yes, it is a FREE pattern at the Windham Fabrics web site. My fabric version is simplified. Here is the digital version (and all templates are included in the pattern, of course). Boats, stars, and anchors!

Sail Away FREE pattern!

Hope you enjoyed my Storm at Sea quilts. It's a classic pattern that would delight anyone!


Comments