Ruby's Lilies

Here's another quilt inspired by a vintage design. Ruby McKim published hundreds of patterns in the Kansas City Star in the 1920s, 30s and 40s. One is called Noon Day Lily (1929).


I created my own quilt in the mid 1990s and it was published in one of our Quilt Magazine issues. This is the best photo I have of it. I named it Ruby's Lilies. The blocks are 12" square and the entire quilt is just 38" x 38". I have no clue where this is, but I'm sure I gave it away to a friend or family member!

Ruby's Lilies: 38" x 38"

A quilting friend shared a vintage quilt made with these Noon Day Lilies and she gave me permission to share it here. What a gorgeous quilt with SO much piecing and appliqué! Another name for this block is Carolina Lily.

Vintage Carolina Lily quilt owned by Pepper Cory

Here's my art as it appeared in the magazine. It's easier to see the structure of the Lily blocks.

Ruby's Lilies

I love to see how vintage quilts inspire our work today, don't you?

Comments