Delectable Mountains

Oh, I'm not talking about tasty mountains! I'm talking about a vintage pattern that I took some liberties with. Here is the vintage block in multiples arranged in 6 different assemblies. This is from my magazine days, maybe late 1990s.


Actually, the first time I saw this newer version was when Kathy Wierzbecki (from the staff of Martingale Publishers) did a demo at least 20 years ago. I thought it was SO clever. Here's one done in blues. I combined some un-pieced squares with four Delectable Mountains blocks.

Delectable Mountains quilt. 26" center block

The four blocks measure 7" high by 12" wide. The center floral square is 12". The four outside squares are 7".

I sewed a LOT of those units without any idea of where I was going. Here is one idea up on my design wall. I still have the blocks and some finishing fabric. This will become a charity quilt before the end of the year!

9 Delectable Mountains blocks

I made one several years ago using some Kaffe Fassett Fabrics. Again, the center block measures 26". And look how wonderful that center is with the large scale floral!

Delectable Mountains: 42" square

Here are a few steps. You begin with squares sewn into half-square triangles. Then they are cut into strips. The lower part of this photo shows the half-square triangles cut into 3 strips.


Then they are swapped from left to right:

The swapping begins!

And one more "experiment" with some Fossil Ferns and dragonflies. I have enough to make two of these units for a center block measuring 12" x 14". Then I can build around it.


The most recent quilt I finished was begun at least 5 years ago. I put the binding on last Saturday and it is destined for my local guild's charity endeavors.

Delectable Mountains in brights: 50" x 55"

I had 5 orphan blocks from a 2009 workshop using some of the same fabrics. I put them on the back!

Back of Delectable Mountains quilt

I found my workshop box with MORE blocks. I have got to put them into some quilt and get it out of my house! These are fun to make and a lot less piecing (and trouble) than what you see on the top of this page.


Comments