Birdhouses for My Noisy Neighbors

I get up EARLY (can you say 5 am?). Always have. And my favorite thing in the Spring and Summer is to listen to my noisy aviary friends in the trees outside my windows. They are REALLY loud, so even if I didn't naturally wake up, they would serve to be my alarm clock.

Here is a recent quilt finish using four of my upsized birdhouse patterns. I blogged about this a few weeks ago: Home Grown fabrics by Benartex.


I am teaching my workshop Bird Song at the Quilt Odyssey Quilt Show this summer (July). Here are a few more of these birdhouses in different fabrics:

60s A-Frame: 7-1/2" x 10"
All of my birdhouses finish to a uniform 10" high, with varying widths. This makes for a more "organic" neighborhood!
Efficiency Birdhouse: 5" x 10"
Some birds like to live alone!
Home Tweet Home: 6-1/2" x 10"
And one more:
Room for One: 6" x 10"
And here is my Bird Song quilt using only one of the four birdhouses. Students will get the patterns for ALL FOUR of these and choose how many they would like in their own quilt. There is a bit of improvisation going on here and everyone begins with a bundle of fat quarters (their own from home). Then we work on the Cobblestone Blocks and work through each of the four Birdhouse blocks.

You can also find my 22 page pdf with 10 large birdhouses (some finish to 10" high and others to 12") here: Big Birdhouse Bonanza on Etsy.

My class sample is 54" x 58". The Cobblestone Blocks are 10" x 10" 
Bird Song Quilt and Workshop
Even the borders are cut from the fat quarters! This makes use of every single piece.

And yes, I have several leftover birdhouses that will be my class teaching samples.


Comments

  1. wow your two quilts are gorgeous. I hear the birds waking up also. I love it.
    quilting dash lady at comcast dot net

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com