Fossil Fern Week: Day 2

Here we go again with another project made with these beautiful Fossil Ferns. Another vintage block, another updated way to stitch it.

Carpenter's Wheel has been around for well over 100 years. It was traditionally stitched by hand using 45 degree diamonds and triangles. I converted it to paper piecing.

Carpenter's Wheel stitched with two Fossil Fern colors
The block size is 19-1/2" square (finished). Unfortunately, this quilt was one of the 30 that were stolen in 2005. I made this quilt in 2002 and decided it was finished with NO borders; just binding in one of the two colors. This appeared in Quilt Magazine in 2004. The entire thing is paper pieced with NO y-seams.

You can find this Carpenter's Wheel quilt AND 15 other quilt patterns on my Shortcuts from a Short Woman CD. Remember I showed you all those quilts? You can order this from my Etsy shop or get it at my website. You can print and mail in an order form or you can choose to send money via PayPal.

You can see ALL 16 of the quilts here: Shortcuts from a Short Woman.

Shortcuts from a Short Woman
Another older quilt using Fossil Ferns is what I call Little Fairies. The Fossil Ferns were combined with a sweet Benartex collection featuring fairies.

Sweet Little Fairies
Love those Fossil Ferns! Come back for Day 3 to see some more projects.

Comments