Finally Finished!

Oh, not me! Another quilt! I began this quilt in 2013 and added borders several years later. Quilted by a guild friend a few weeks ago, as it was going for one of our group's charity endeavors. 

Nancy Drew Flying Geese quilt: 34" x 34"

I was using the Flying Geese ring pattern and the center Dogwood Blossom pattern (both my own), but I ran into some problems. First I pieced the ring. The center circle has a diameter of 14". I forgot to consider what my inner pattern would finish to  . . .

Circle of Geese units

Then I made the center using some Nancy Drew fabric (which are also in those geese units above).

Circles of Geese surround Nancy Drew

Oh, sure. Everything looks fine, until you see this block from the back! Can you see the thin 1/4 circle black strips (called "compensating" strips) I had to add in order for the center to fit with the Geese ring?

Back of block with coping strips

This was not pretty, but doable for me, a quilter with decades of sewing experience. I've made LOTS of mistakes and I learn from them. Trust me - I don't always share my dumb mistakes here!

I added those borders with the alphabet and hope some little kid will enjoy it. I call this quilt: Who Knew Nancy Drew?

You can find my pattern for the Circles of Geese in my Etsy store. The center Nancy Drew Dogwood Blossom pattern isn't part of the pattern, but I show lots of ways to play with those awesome curved geese.

But, ssshhhh! Don't tell my secret about those coping strips to that little kid. It might make him nervous!

Comments

  1. Maybe you could talk some more or show how you made the coping strips.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, that's a good idea! I have used these coping strips in Monday's post about my Stars quilt. I made one block too small and had to add more black around it to make it fit.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com