March is for Good Luck

My block for March 13 in my perpetual Quilt Block a Day calendar is the Good Luck block. It's a vintage block. It originates in the early part of the 20th century (ie, probably 1930s). Here it is as made by Patricia Bryant of Australia. Remember she made ALL the blocks in my calendar several years ago?!!

The Good Luck block by Patricia Bryant

Here are two quilts that I made using some reproduction 1930s fabrics.

1930s child's Good Luck quilt

And the mirror image quilt. Again, notice how the color patches are in relation to the cream. They were donated to our local Young Lives chapter and some lucky children are going to enjoy seeing those dancing bears and bunnies and geese!

Second 9-Block Good Luck quilt

I first published it in 2006 (or so) and she actually made the cover. I can say she's a Cover Girl!

Good Luck Quilt on the cover of Quick Quilts


Notice those blocks. Looks like I used some funky templates (as was done in the original pattern). But, I saw that it could be pieced in strips and then cut into squares and then . . .

Good Luck Quilt as it appeared in Supersize 'Em Quilts (Martingale, 2009)

I cut some of my 1930s prints and made those TWO 9-Block quilts as shown at the top. I put the blocks side by side (no sashing) and so I had to make a few more blocks in order to not have the mirror image blocks touching each other.

Here are my strip sets cut into wedges. Don't you just love those little dancing bears?!

I made a lot of samples for my classes. Here is my blue and yellow 4-Block Good Luck quilt. As you cut and sew, you are making mirror image blocks. That's why I used sashings in these two quilts. I didn't want the same colored fabric touching each other!

Blue and Yellow 4 Block Good Luck quilt

This is such a fun and quick way to bust your stash. I have some leftover cuts I discovered the other day and they are begging me to make another quilt or two for next year's Young Lives Summer camp kids. Check out my Etsy pattern to see sizes, etc. This is such a great STASH BUSTER, too!

Comments

  1. I remember when Patricia Bryant made of "posed" all the calendar blocks. The setting were very creative.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com