Laced Star Block and Coping Strips

I belong to an English Paper Piecing group on Facebook and the discussion came up about this vintage block: Laced Star. I realized that I drafted this block for foundation paper piecing back in 1997 for Quilt Magazine. I enjoyed it so much, I drafted 11 other blocks for paper piecing and sold them as printed patterns.

Here is the block I'm talking about as shown in the middle at the top of this quilt:

Mini Galaxy of Stars quilt. Laced Star at top center

I can't believe I do NOT have a large photo of this block. Here is what I could get by cropping it from the quilt.

Laced Star: 6", foundation pieced

This is a VINTAGE block and is included in the classic book by Maggie Malone, "1001 Patchwork Designs." It is block #335. Check it out if you have the book.

Now, if you look closely at that block you will see that there is a small black strip around the points before it meets the swirly setting triangles. This is because I printed the block at the wrong size, pieced it and realized that it only measured 5" finished! I had to add a 1" (finished 1/2") black strip around all four sides for it to fit.

And, I did the same thing with its neighbor to the left! You can see it better with that block. I wasn't in the mood to remake those 2 blocks and, hence, the "coping" or "compensating" strips. This quilt is long gone, living with someone who probably didn't notice!

Check out my Etsy listing for these 12 paper pieced 6" blocks: 12 Twinkling Stars.

Comments

  1. Did you also have to do that for the star to the left of the Laced Star?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Susan. Yes, I did. I did mention that block, too, in the post. I guess because I didn’t have a photo of it, you missed that.

      But, as you can see, it worked and I learned a very valuable lesson about printing my patterns for paper piecing!

      I can’t believe I paper pieced all those in a 6” size. Give me big blocks any day!

      Hope that gave you an idea of what these “coping” strips are for. Many quilters have done this for decades. It makes for finished quilts, right?

      thanks for stopping by!
      Debby

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com