Star Bouquet Ideas

You ask: What's a Star Bouquet? It's a vintage block that has a LOT of y-seams. Check it out here in this lovely little English Paper Pieced (EPP) block. Six diamonds, six jewels and one hexagon, all stitched to each other with y-seams.

Single Star Bouquet block

 I finally reached a point where I wanted to put them into a quilt. 18 blocks and 4 plain diamonds.

18 Star Bouquet blocks in a quilt

Look at all this color up close!


Lots of Star Bouquet blocks

This is what I mean by vintage:

Here are the parts: Diamonds and jewels. Hey! Where's the hexagon?

Diamonds and Jewels

There she is, in the center!

Star Bouquet and some fun little hearts made with the jewels

I took each of those 18 blocks and appliquéd them to a larger white hexagon.


And the rest of the patches are 60 degree triangles, 30 degree triangles and white diamonds. No y-seams, but you know that already!

Do you like to English Paper Piece? What's your favorite block to make? What's your favorite part? What sorts of EPP blocks and projects would you like to see here? Let me know!

Thanks for stopping by!


Comments

  1. Hi Debby! I accidentally made something with y-seams not too long ago and it wasn't too bad. How about that! Now I look at project that have y-seams with a different, more open lens. Bring them on! ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Roseanne. Think about it: those of us with a driver's license couldn't have passed the test without doing a y-turn, so we quilters know how to make a y-seam! Debby

    ReplyDelete
  3. That star bouquet fascinates me. I have done y-seams before in sewing/mending clothes. Once you get the hang of it, they are not that difficult. Of course, this has a LOT more y-seams in one block than I have ever done. I have always been fascinated with the Lucy Boston Patchwork of the Crosses.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com