One More Baby Blocks Quilt

I made these Baby Blocks the old fashioned way - with y-seams! Yes, that's right! I know I always brag about no y-seams, but that's not because I'm afraid of them - I just like to do some workarounds. You've seen these little blocks before. These are 4-1/2" rotary cut 60 degree diamonds.

Single Baby Blocks

 Here is the y-seam from the back. You can see how the 3 seams come together in the center. Then the 1/4" where there is NO seam is spun. Lies flat that way.

Baby blocks from wrong side.

I squeezed the life out of that swirly fabric. I had to seam two diamonds - gasp! But, it works!

This block measures 8" finished from flat side to flat side. I used 4-1/2" 60 degree triangles to set them together.

Look closely and you'll see the seams in the multi-colored diamonds

I used a mottled batik in a light print for those setting triangles. When you have 7 blocks, you have to get a little creative with their assembly. I cut four more diamonds and put those in the corners. Now I can have a rectangular center.

Then I grabbed a golden yellow for the inner border. I thought I had enough of the outer border, but I had to piece that, too! Who cares? It's not going into a judged show. Once it's quilted it will make some child (or adult in a wheelchair) happy. It measures 38" x 40".

Baby Blocks Quilt: 36" x 40"

A member of my local quilting guild will quilt this for me, I'll put binding on and then she will put it into our piles of quilts to go to various local charities. The quilt will be happy to be making someone happy, right?

Comments

  1. Yes, it will make someone happy. I like it. It is a happy quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com