Some Hearts are Appliquéd; Some are Pieced

What's inside my Valentine's Vault? I've been quilting for 30+ years and have made a lot of quilts with a heart theme. Here's an oldie that I made using some soft wool plaid scraps. Published in one of our issues of Quilt Magazine in the early 2000s.

Hearts of Wool and Plaids

Hearts and Swallows was made for a friend's daughter many years ago in Atlanta. I love this quilt for all of the techniques used: appliqué, 8 pointed star, prairie point edges on those fence posts on the outside border. This was also published in Quilt Magazine.


Hearts and Swallows

Paper pieced Slashed Hearts is about 20 years old and has since gone to live with someone. Can you believe that awesome Rick Rack appliquéd to the black sashing? I think I'll try some of that with some kids' quilts I have coming up.

Paper Pieced Slashed Hearts - I wonder who owns this now?

I designed the block in 2002 (when I think the quilt was published). Could that REALLY be 20 years ago?! I packaged it on my Building Blocks and Borders CD. I need to bring that out again, I think.

I made some quick blocks to see if I remembered how to paper piece - I did! These use some shot cottons (solids) and some scraps from my Kaffe Fassett stash.

Single Slashed Heart in scraps of gold and brown: 6"

My 14 page pattern for the quilt includes four sizes of the block: 3", 4", 5" and 6". AND I've included the mirror image of the block. Here are two blocks side by side to show you what I mean.

Mirror image blocks in 6" size


Sometimes we make simple hearts to appliqué. And then we piece some others. Either way, they are sure to bring a smile to someone you love.

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com