Pentagon Wreath, Part Two

This is an update on a post I shared last year. I am using an Ana Griffin design from her Chinoiserie Collection (2012-13).

All I'm doing is taking a lovely block and building outward with strips and squares. I made a pentagon wreath using 2" pentagon papers for English Paper Piecing. Then I centered it over that wonderful pheasant motif. 

Peacock Pentagon Wreath quilt center (in process)

I first blogged about this collection in 2013. Can you see that regal peacock in the 3rd fabric down?!!

Chinoiserie fabrics by Ana Griffin

Here is that center block in process. I fussy cut/centered the peacock motif and then surrounded it with 10 2" pentagons (fabric wrapped around 2" paper pentagons). I machine stitched the center of the wreath to that peacock fabric (papers have been removed). Now it's pinned, ready for stitching to the 13-1/2" green background square.

Centered and stitched

Then it's time to trim away that green background. This reduces bulk and also shows you my stitching process. Cool, huh?

Back of Peacock Pentagon Wreath

Then, I continued with a variety of fabric strips and squares until I got to around 40" x 40". I used fussy cut pheasant motifs near the very outside and also in the border corners. This is how I fussy cut using freezer paper.


Now it's time to take the freezer paper off and do this 3 more times.


Here is the 50" x 50" quilt top. Yes, I like pink!

The Pink Pheasant Quilt: 50" x 50"

And a close up of one corner. I used a variety of sizes in the strips and some of them come from fat quarters, so you know I have seams in there! Who cares? This is not an heirloom!

Close up of bottom right corner - I used the pheasants in 2 sizes

This is one of my favorite ways to make a quick quilt around a fabulous block. It's feels good to finish and maybe I'll be motivated to quilt it asap!

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com