What's in My Garden, Day 5

A vintage, traditional pattern was the inspiration for the next set of blocks and quilts that feature flowers. This is called the Diadem. I think it resembles a rocket ship (and you'll see one quilt that uses outer space fabrics to prove it!) The first quilt I made was in 2006-7 and I used Christmas fabrics - but they're flowers.

Diadem: 56" x 56". 14" Blocks

Then I chose it as a project for some workshops. I used some lovely flower collections from Blank Fabrics. Again, I wanted something special in those center squares (which are cut 10-1/2"). The pointed corners are paper pieced, of course! Same size quilt, only this time in pinks and browns.

First, a single block:
Single Diadem block with paper pieced corners

And the 4 block quilt:

I chose some blues and greens and made kits for my students. I made the block size smaller: 12", so the quilts will finish to 40" x 40". This way the students didn't have to piece their borders.  This is a digital image:

Diadem in blues and greens: 40" x 40"

I made it using some Kaffe Fassett fabrics. He designs lots of LARGE prints and this block was perfect to feature some glorious blooms. (My Etsy pattern has BOTH sizes of blocks for two different sized quilts). First, a single block that I gave a plaid border to. Don't you just love those blooms?! Yes, I didn't go all "matchey-matchey" with that center bloom. I let the rotary cutter make that decision. Very organic.


Here's a single block for my 4 block quilt:

And the 4 block quilt (which uses the 14" block). Flowers, flowers, everywhere!

Diadem quilt using Kaffe Fassett fabrics

I often think: why chop up perfectly beautiful large prints? Let them do the heavy lifting in a quilt, right? And with 4 blocks you have a lovely lap quilt.


Here are a few single blocks I made, just because!


Diadem block using the Lola Collection by Blank Fabrics

And the last single block from a Christmas Collection by Benartex:


These blocks go together so quickly. Those centers are great to display a gorgeous print. I hope you enjoyed seeing all my flowers on Day 4.

Comments