Arrowheads, Horse and Rider = FREE Patterns

I found a new use for my 60 degree triangle ruler. I was inspired by what I did with my Tri-Recs ruler about 20 years ago and thought that the 60 degree one will do the same thing. After all, the angle difference is only about 4 degrees. Here's one quilt I made which I call Arrowheads. It was the basis for a workshop in 2012. I used my own version of the Tri-Recs ruler set.

Spinning Arrowheads

Here's my set (which I no longer carry). Check your sewing room drawer for a set of the Tri-Recs rulers!

My version of the Tri-Recs ruler set

When I make the blocks, I add an extra strip to top and bottom so that the block is square. This way I can tilt them back and forth in relation to each other. Here is a single block (from long ago).

Single Arrowheads block

I've made this in multi-colors (still a top hanging in my closet):


And my latest quilt was made using Windham Fabrics Merry and Mod Collection and their blenders called Diamond Dust. I donated it to our local quilt guild's charity efforts. But THIS quilt was made using my same technique, only this time with my 60 degree ruler. Notice that there are only 6 pieced strips in each block as opposed to 8 in those above. THIS USES NO TEMPLATES! It's all in the simple technique.

Arrowheads Quilt: 40" x 40"

Now, you're probably wondering what "Horse and Rider" is all about (in my title). I designed a quilt for Michael Miller Fabrics in 2019. It's a FREE pattern! The blocks are 10". There are paper templates provided, but if you have a multi-sized 60 degree triangle ruler, then the cutting will go very smoothly!

Horse and Rider: 66" x 66"

I have a two-color quilt (red and white) that I designed for Creative Grids rulers a few years ago. Same pattern with only 9 blocks, which finish at 12".

Arrowheads in Red: 41" x 41"

I designed another quilt for Windham Fabrics called Arrowheads in the Desert. Here is a look at the blocks:

12" Arrowheads Block in 4 parts


And four blocks together. I actually have the entire quilt top finished. My version has a different border.

Four Arrowhead blocks from the Mesa Collection by Windham Fabrics

There is a free pattern for this, too. I incorporated some appliquéd cactus and cowboy boot blocks!

Arrowheads in the Desert: 62" x 62"

I have several others, but you've got to be tired by now. Go ahead and click those links for the FREE patterns.

And check out both my 6-1/2" and 8-1/2" multi-sized 60 degree triangle rulers in my Etsy shop. Very affordable (about half the price of Creative Grids).

Comments