Twisted Hexagons with Santa

I got busy last Christmas and made some Twisted Hexagon coasters (or large mug rugs) using up some lovely holiday scraps. The center hexagons are 5" high, with a finished height for the coaster of 10".

Twisted Hexagon coasters

I was able to get two hexagons out of the Santa prints and then used two different prints for the half-hexagons. The binding is NOT cut on the bias - it's printed that way, so let's keep this secret to ourselves!

Santa Twisted Hexagon Coaster: 10" x 12"

The half-hexagons are also easy to cut using a standard 60 degree multi-sized triangle ruler. I know you have one in your sewing room drawer! 

Cutting the half hexagons

Here are some half-hexagons I cut for a larger quilt. I had just a few left over and they inspired my coasters above.

Half-hexagons

My Festive Chickadees Twisted Hexagons quilt is ready to come out of the closet for decorating! These use the same size half-hexagons, but in a different fabric collection.

Festive Chickadees quilt: 40" x 42"

I like to keep these coasters on hand in a drawer for when I need to take a special hostess gift. And they're easy to finish with simple quilting.

Check out my various patterns in my Etsy shop. I have both 5" and 6" hexagon centers. It's a great way to use up some scraps and bring a smile on someone's face to be given such a sweet gift!

Comments

  1. What great gifts those make. You are so clever at using your scraps.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com