March Red Hat Block: The Purse

Here it is March and we are FREEZING here in Virginia. Snow came again last night. What about all these birds singing in my trees? Aren't they confused?

First, let me show you how I've put my 9 blocks together. No pattern yet, but it will be available for anyone who purchases any of these blocks. This is one of my "go-to" assemblies and is very easy to put together! I made myself work with fabrics I had on hand and I think this worked. (But it's a very red quilt, don't you think?)

Stepping Out Quilt: 41" x 41"
Today I share my Red Hat Purse, the third block in the 2019 BOM. Let me show a few pics of my use of freezer paper for tracing the templates.

I cut an oversized piece of red fabric and fused interfacing to the wrong side. Then I ironed the template shape to the front. I made sure I added the extra 1/4" or so at the top which will slide UNDER the yellow trim.

Purse bottom template
And the handle cut:
Two of the 3 purse parts
You can see the template page underneath the white background 9-1/2" square. This helps me with the placement of each of the 3 parts. The last one to add will be the yellow trim.

I pinned and stitched each using matching thread.


This is available through my Etsy shop: March Purse. Remember, since I no longer have a Craftsy shop where I was able to offer these for free last year, I priced them at a low price of $1.00 (I have to pay Etsy fees).

Take a visit to my Red Hat Stepping Out Facebook page, too.

Comments