Revisiting My Gretchen Quilt

I must like this pattern, as I've made this several times. I have a whole lot of blocks from teaching it a dozen times last year! Now to put them together.

I have fixed the links to the pattern. Many thanks to those who alerted me!

Here is my first one:

Gretchen quilt in black and red prints
Then I received a bundle of fabrics from Red Rooster and made this one:

Gretchen Quilt in happy colors

Then I made some sample blocks for my recent workshops. I used some of my precious shwe shwe cloth from my Africa days 40 years ago. Yikes! What took me so long to cut into these?

Blue indigo prints from Africa make up four Gretchen Blocks
 And I had just a handful of the reds:

4 Red Gretchen Blocks
I love shot cottons mixed with Kaffe Fassett prints and I made these this morning (yes, I get up early). What do you think?

First, realize that there are NO TEMPLATES. You are only working with two sizes of squares and a magical way with your rotary cutter!

Gretchen Block 1
 And some lavender:
Gretchen Block 2
 Gold:
Gretchen Block 3
And greens:
Gretchen Block 4
Putting them all together:
Four Gretchen Blocks
The blocks are 9" and the quilts as shown above are 58" x 58". I think I'll piece until I run out of fabric (silly girl! When will THAT ever happen?)

You can find the pattern for my Gretchen Quilt at my Etsy store. This is a real scrap buster, too!

Comments

  1. I have an idea now for a quilt using white for negative space on this and bright “girly” prints for the rest.. a cute baby quilt. Now to convince the parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad this inspired you, Judy! Yes, having good contrast with the solids/white makes for an attractive quilt. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. Good Morning Debby! This block reminds me of a Hunter's Star block. I love it in your African prints - and what are you saving that fabric for??!! Thanks for the inspiration. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Roseanne. Yes, sort of like a Hunter’s Star, only this is the vintage Gretchen block from July 1932, Kansas City Star.

      And, yes, good question: what was I hoarding that fabric for anyway? So glad I made those blocks. I have enough for a lap sized quilt.

      Thanks for stopping by!
      Debby

      Delete
  3. Great block... just tried to link to the pattern and it comes up as an invalid address on my Mac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Bonnie. I'm a Mac user, too (no other will do!). I just tried the link and it works. Check it out again and then be sure and let me know if it doesn't work: https://www.etsy.com/listing/680158754/the-gretchen-quilt?ref=listing_published_alert

      Delete
  4. The link to your Etsy shop did not work for me either. I use a PC. However, I copied the link you gave in your answer to Bonnie and that worked.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com