One Day Lone Star Workshop

One of my favorite workshops is my tried-and-true One Day Lone Star. Yes, you heard that right: a large Lone Star in one day. The block is 35". I put this together 10 years ago and still remains a popular class.

Let's see what I'm talking about:

Large Lone Star using an older Blank Fabrics collection
This is from the Holiday Splendor fabric collection and the 9-Patch diamonds are strip pieced. The large floral setting squares and triangles are set-in - GASP! Yes, I did it and it turned out ok. That is one technique of two that I teach for this very large 35" block.

I also teach that those outer squares and triangles can be split for ease of construction. I made a second quilt with this technique. I added some bias trim. I saw a vintage quilt photo and this was done and I thought: "Why not?" It is a little tricky, but I do show my students how to do this.

Lone Star with split squares and triangles
And the added bias trim:

Same 35" block with the added bias trim
As you know, I moved at the end of November 2018 and thought I had packed and unpacked my sewing studio correctly. I tore everything apart last week because I could not find these teaching samples. I gave SO MUCH away before my move, I figured I lost my mind and accidentally gave those samples away. So I began to make ANOTHER sample quilt. I thought it would be nice to have this in solids. What do you think?

Half of my Lone Star
Then, wouldn't you know it! I found my teaching samples. My dear quilting friend Julia convinced me to make an Excel spreadsheet of where my stuff is. A spread sheet? How much do you have, Debby? Allow me . . .
Stack of Chobani yogurt boxes being moved
 And another stack:
More boxes filled with projects, UFOs, workshops
I have about 4 dozen. They are labeled. But then I have several LARGE cardboard boxes with gallon size ziplock bags, full of various projects in process. I needed a spreadsheet!

I have a simple spreadsheet. I found the Lone Star samples and you can be sure they are now listed in the spreadsheet! I am slowly identifying my things.

I always look forward to teaching this class. It is very doable. Students come with their strips pre-cut and labeled. They have a coloring chart ahead of time to identify where they are placing their colors. It is fun and we usually don't stop with one!


Comments

  1. Hi Debby! That is quite a filing system. It just might make you hungry, too. I wish I was closer to PA as this looks like a fun workshop. Who wouldn't like to make a quilt top in a day? Or have a very good start anyway. ~smile~ Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could take the class, but I'm in central Illinois.
    I put things in totes and list everything that is in the tote on paper. I print this off and it is the first thing I see when I open a tote. Works good for me as I have way too many totes to go through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI,THAT is a neat filing set-up!!! Thanks for sharing again!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by Debby Kratovil Quilts! If you had a question and don't get an answer from me, please feel free to email me at: kratovil@his.com